ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Trail Marking Ideas -Reply

Re: [endurance] Trail Marking Ideas -Reply

Stephanie Teeter (step@fsr.com)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 19:11:07 -0700 (PDT)

> The problem that I forsee with standardizing the color of trail
> markings is COLORS. In some areas the spring and summer the
> foliage is heavy making it VERY hard to see green or even blue
> ribbons. In the fall, which can be colorful in our area, you
> have to have a color that will not blend in with the fall
> foliage.

> Food for thought.

> Genie Stewart-Spears

I agree, I can't see any way that we could standardize colors,
especially when many managers successfully use different colors
for each loop - and the foliage, terrain certainly does dictate
which colors should not be used -
but there are certain ways of marking trail that
make it so much easier for the rider to follow a course
- eg, signalling a turn by hanging 3 ribbons together,
always marking on the right, liming off trails/roads that
shouldn't be taken. This is near and dear to my heart, since
I've been marking trail for our ride for years, and always
have an eye to trail marking techniques at other rides. One
ride in our area tied ribbons to clothespins (makes a great
party) and then to mark the trail, you just snap the clothespins
to tree branches, whatever - much easier to mark the trail
from horseback this way. And much easier to 'unmark' the trail.
(I used to *just* be ready to tie
the knot on my ribbon, when my horse figured it was time
to walk on.) A group of us have even become skilled at
fastening ribboned clothespins to targets at a trot.

st