ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Northern Calif. Rattlesnakes

Re: [endurance] Northern Calif. Rattlesnakes

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:26:00 -0700 (PDT)

Well as a biochemist I concur. Humans need to be still, be transported
(with apparatus applied to slow blood) to emergency care. I've witnessed
more then a few bites on humans and horses over the years. Anti-Venom is
your best chance at survival. Once the venom begins to attack the CNS the
victim is generally history.

Rebel has taken two rattlesnake bites to the nose and survived very
nicely. One would think once bitten twice shy, but he does steer clear of
any garden hose in his vicinity. It isn't the toxicity of the venom that
generally saves the horse's life in case of bite. It's body mass. If
struck in an artery, forget it.

Samm is right, don't take the little critters for granted. As a kid back
in the South many, many years ago I was playing a a creek with a pal.
Actually I must have been 12 or 13. We disturbed a copperhead nest and to
make a long story short I saw him die rather uncomfortably. Treat these
posionous snakes with the respect they deserve. Steer as wide a birth
as possible.

ciao,

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Samm C Bartee wrote:

> I tend to disagree on the rattlesnake bite thing not being to harmful to
> people. A very good friend of mine nearly died when he was bitten on the
> HAND by a baby rattler. He is a wildlife biologist, works with wild
> animals in that capacity all of the time, and is very knowledgeble of how
> to take care of such things. The ER docs gave him a 85% chance to DIE,
> not live, unless the antivenin could be found in time. He is very lucky
> to live. Rattlesnake bites--as well as bites of any type of venemous
> animal can be very dangerous, especially if you happen to be allergic to
> that particular type of venom. Some people can withstand the bite of
> black widows, some will die. Just be careful!
>
> APPY TRAILS
>

> SAMM C. BARTEE
> Auburn, Al. SE Region
> with
> SIR REVEL--only 5 miles to 1000
> MOONLIGHT JET--just getting started at 16

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tommy Crockett~Los Osos, California USA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~tomydore@goblin.punk.net~~DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu~
www HOMEPAGE http://www.slonet.org/~tcrocket