ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: White River Summer Ride

[endurance] Re: White River Summer Ride

LINDA SHERRILL (sweau@voyager.net)
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 07:39:25 -0400 (EDT)

Just a couple preliminary results from the White River Summer Ride 6-8-96
in Michigan:

100 MILERS

Myra Fleming 1st
Lois McAfee 2nd
Connie Caudill 4th

Sorry, can't remember full names of other finishers.
But we did come out and crew for you!

Just a thought. If anyone cares to try, going out and crewing for 100
milers who don't have a crew is a very rewarding experience. After the
50 on saturday, my crew and I and Julie and Jeff Abrams went out and
found the rest of the 100 milers and crewed. It was another chance to
see some beautiful country and it continues to humble Julie and I when we
remember and see for ourselves, what our crews do for us. (And how fast
they have to drive!)

At 02:00 PM 6/8/96 -0700, you wrote:

>endurance-digest Saturday, 8 June 1996 Volume 01 : Number 489

>From: Kim Fuess <k2228554@mall.themall.net>
>Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 15:23:01 GMT
>Subject: [endurance] Panting & Heat
>
> I have read with interest the comments and would like to give you my
>personal experience with panting and closing one nostril. I used this at
>the last 50 mile race I did at the last vet check not to fool the vet but to
>force the horse to take deeper breaths. It worked and my horse started
>taking deeper breaths and kept taking them. I didn't do this during the vet
>examination but for P&R and the horse's respiration stayed down. The horse
>looked great in all other areas and was eating and drinking well. There was
>no shade at this vet check and it was hot and humid and we were running out
>of ice water. I don't think it would have helped this horse to sit in the
>vet check with the sun beating down on him for another 20 minutes because
>his respiration was high. He went on to win 1st place and BC also, so
>obviously the horse wasn't having metabolic problems.
> There's nothing wrong with using "tricks" if you are able to make an
>honest evaluation of the horse you are riding.
> By the way, thank you to whoever posted the suggestion of using ice
>water with a scraper (to get the warm water off) as a means of cooling. It
>worked great! After the ride, the vet at that check told me the several of
>the horses that came in after the first 3 or 4 had a harder time recovering
>because their riders/crews were not as aggressive with their cooling methods
>and the horses took longer to recover.
>
> Kim
>

>------------------------------
>
>From: harvey_helen <helen@loc201.tandem.com>
>Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 14:26:33 -0700
>Subject: [endurance] Saddle for Sale
>
>Saddle for Sale:
>Orthoflex Patriot - $1300.00
>call Jeannie Wilde (408) 446-1654
>
>------------------------------
>
>From: step@fsr.com
>Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 19:18:21 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: [endurance] OCTRA Spring Ride results
>
>OCTRA Spring Ride - May 19, 1996 - 54.8 miles
>Sandaraska Park, Newcastle, Ontario
>31 starters: 23 finishers
>
>1. Judy Saunders J S Duke 5:41 BC
>2. Brenda Legace-Harrison Accounts Due 6:10
>3. George Garrett Csardas Tetley 6:12
>4. Carol Lidstone Csardas Ryptide 6:37
>5. Trevor Downing Bo 6:37
>6. Ann McCaughey No Duplicate 6:39
>7. Sandra Kendall R C Sophie 7:24
>8. Bob Wright J C Zebadiah 7:25
>9. Lesley Bond CH Kelsey 8:05
>10. Earle Baxter CH Devonaire 8:05
>11. Margaret Murray E G Chloe 8:10
>12. Jacob Rawski J C Niacin 8:14 Junior
>13. Ryan Rawski Daalda's Triumph 8:14 Junior
>14. Jim Rawski Sultan Lad 8:14
>15. Richelle Burnside Kari Benko 8:23 Junior
>16. Rick Burnside Kabar Raftah 8:23
>17. Nancy Beacon AM Royal Fool 8:26
>18. Mike Cottenden Traverston 8:26
>19. Kristen Butler Chicago Clasix 8:31 Junior
> [...]

Linda Sherrill
Justus Arabians ...dedicated to the Davenport Arabian...
"It's not the competition....it's the company...."