ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] tick spray warning

Re: [endurance] tick spray warning

Hendrik Fleming (hfleming@pixie.co.za)
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 20:12:04 +0200

----------
> From: MS LOUISE D BURTON <XXDU78A@prodigy.com>
> To: endurance@moscow.com
> Subject: [endurance] tick spray warning
> Date: Thursday, June 06, 1996 02:00
>
> We have incredible ticks. I pick 20+ off each horse every day.
> I used to use a heavy duty insecticide on them that kept ticks off for
> three weeks. After my TB mare had a foal this year with a birth defect,
> will not use it ever again! Of course the two may not be related, but
why
> take the chance? Please try some of the vinegar-type remedies, or B-1,
or
> I've heard even garlic (how do you get a horse to eat garlic??). Or
just
> go out and pick them off everyday!
> Louise Burton
> Oklahoma

Hi, here is South Africa a couple of riders give garlic to their horses
(If they can get hold of it, and afford it...). You just mix a little of
it with their food. Some horses will eat it, some will hate it. According
to the folk lore over here, it will help for everything (well almost.)
>From tick fever, to resistance against equine flue, to being a healthier
horse in general. Well, I can't vouch for everything they say, but that is
the belief.

Hendrik Fleming
South Africa