ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Panting and Respiration

Re: [endurance] Panting and Respiration

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 08:07:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Betsy O'Shea wrote:

> If the respiration has validity, why isn't it taken on an Endurance ride?
> Not being argumentative, just would like an explanation.

It is taken on some endurance rides (especially at the pre-ride check to
gain a base line). I have been at many rides where the criterial are
"15, no inversion" however, it seems now that the P&R people just do P
and leave the R to the vet.

And even if is not taken at the vet check, it is an indicator that I pay
close attention to. I am more familiar with what is normal for my horse
than the vet who only sees him for a few minutes at a ride. Last year, I
was sponsoring a junior who I practically forced to pull her horse
because it was badly inverted. This decision was made about 5 miles
before the second vet check, and because there was no trailer access for
the last 4 miles (steep hills on a fire break with no shade and 90 degree
heat), we did not even go on to the vet check but trailered the horse
immediately.

It was not an emergency situation, but it could easily have become one
had we gone on with the horse in such a compromised condition, of which
the respiration rate was a strong indicator.

The vets do look at respiration (rate and quality, etc.), but even
so...just because a vet may not look at it, doesn't mean it is not relevant.

kat
Orange County, Calif.