ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Panting and the heat

Re: [endurance] Panting and the heat

Lewis Hollander (lewis@bendnet.com)
Sat, 1 Jun 1996 17:27:55 -0700

A few thoughs on resperation.

This is a very serious problem and as the Heat and humidity rise it can be
fatal. Ice is your best bet to cool the horse. A good stiff breese on a wet
horse is best but hard to find. Now at the vet check, hold one nostril of
the horse as the vet takes the resperation. This forces the horse to take
deep breaths and half as many. The vet can not watch the head and the flank
at the same time. NOW you have NOT corrected the problem just fooled the
vet. You still need to cool down the horse. You have now taken over the
responsibility of your horses care use it wisely. See my homepage
http://www.endurance.net/hollander. This all discussed in my book "Endurance
Riding From Beginning to Winning" $17.45 including shipping from Green
Mansions Inc. P O Box 100, Redmond, OR 97756.
Hope that helps

Lew Hollander