ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Allowing a horse to choose his own gait

Re: [endurance] Allowing a horse to choose his own gait

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Wed, 15 May 1996 16:34:44 -0500 (EST)

Betsy,

You wrote:

> I have never forgotten a broadcaster's comment during the Los Angeles
> Olympics 3 day event. He was referring to Mike Plumb's handling of his horse
> who needed to be babied around the course and said "Mike makes all the
> executive decisions" This was what was going to enable Mike to get the horse
> through the cross country course safely and withough wearing the horse out.

Remember - cross country is a VERY different sport than endurance w/
its own set of problems & concerns. I am not worried with placing my
horse for the ideal take off over a huge, unyielding jump while
saving enough oomph for the last obstacle. (Been there, done that on
a lower level, and decided that the sport was for folks far crazier than I.)

> I have tried letting my horse chose his own gait and his own pace and it
> has't worked out for me. Now I also make all the executive decisions!

I would not advocate allowing the horse to set the pace. It is
really hard to express to a horse that he is going to cover 15 miles
vs 50 vs 100. From their view point, we are out there for forever!
(I can think how many times I'd have like to tell my horse "Just 10 more
miles & it'll be over!") From my view point, the discussion
surrounds this:
If you want to cover ground at 9 mph, set that pace! Let the horse
decide how he would best like to cover the ground based on his
fatigue and the terrain. If he is more effecient at that point in
time cantering rather than extending a trot, then allow it. If the horse is
allowed to set the <pace> throughout, he will probably "burn out" part way
thru the ride, especially since he is clueless as to how far you plan
to ride.

I prefer to ride as a team w/ the horse, not as the CEO. I'll leave
executive decisions to the pit stops! (YES, you ARE wearing this
cool water, and NO you are NOT going to sniff noses with that cute
mare!) This has worked for us over the last 15 years! (The first
year doesn't count! I was absolutely clueless! If anyone knows
Joyce Manucci of Florida, say Hi! for me. She was a great mentor!)

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"