ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Allowing a horse to choose his own gait - NO!

Re: [endurance] Allowing a horse to choose his own gait - NO!

helgeson@lansford.ndak.net
Wed, 15 May 1996 11:55:12 PDT

> From helgeson@lansford.ndak.net Wed May 15 11:38:59 1996
> Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 11:39:18 PDT
> From: helgeson@lansford.ndak.net
> To: hall@CC.DENISON.EDU (jude hall)
> Cc: In@"endurance@moscow.com"
> Subject: Re: [endurance] Allowing a horse to choose his own gait - NO!
> Read: Wed, 15 May 1996 10:02:49 PDT
>
> > From hall@CC.DENISON.EDU Wed May 15 09:30:39 1996
> > Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 10:30:09 -0400 (EDT)
> > Date-Warning: Date header was inserted by CC.DENISON.EDU
> > From: hall@CC.DENISON.EDU (jude hall)
> > Subject: Re: [endurance] Allowing a horse to choose his own gait - NO!
> > To: helgeson@lansford.ndak.net
> > Cc: In@"endurance@moscow.com"
> >
> > Lynette, what the endurance riders are saying is
> > "You choose the *speed* and let the horse choose
> > the gait". That is not the same thing that you are
> > troubled about.....ie - walk is definitely *not*
> > the same speed as run! ;^)
> >
> > I haven't commented til now about your posts and
> > training methods, but I think you sound a bit
> > rigid....talking about "riding out" temper tantrums,
> > being sure not to let the horse have its own way,
> > etc. I agree with several other riders who have
> > found alternative methods to get their horses to
> > do the desired end result - *without* "riding out"
> > a temper tantrum...instead, avoiding the tantrum
> > altogether, which is what I do also, it makes a lot
> > more sense to me (and is much safer for me). Frankly,
> > I don't think I could "ride out" my mare's temper
> > tantrums, but neither would I consider taking her to
> > a trainer who would train in that fashion.
> >
> > Jude Hall
> > in soggy Ohio
> > & Kentucky Redbud & Pride's Pure Angel (TWHs)

Jude,
In order to understand why I rode out and ask for a fight from this mare you
would have had to understand the mare. She was very, very spoiled and
stubborn and was so use to getting her way that she had become dangerous
to everyone around her. She kicked, bit people on the ground and reguarly
throw tanturms when she wasn't getting her way. I knew she was going to
throw a tanturm before I ever started training her. I used her as an example
because she was the hardest horse I ever had to break from prancing. She
was a confirmed prancer. I just wanted to show that any horse can be broke of
any bad habit. Did you read my post on "when circles don't work?" I use that
method with success also. The people I was posting to were blaming the horse for the
prancing. They were saying their horses had heart but no brains. I am just
trying to get across that it is not the horse with the problem but the riders!

And before you make any judgements about my training methods maybe you should
come to my place and ride some of the horses I have trained. My horses come
running when they see me and they walk out well and love to go riding. If they
had any problem with the way that I handle them they would not come to me
at all. One of the horse we own we bought because no one else would buy him.
He bolted, reared, and was barn sore. He was very "hot" and spooked and pranced
all the time. No one wanted to ride him nor buy him. After we retrained him,
he is now being used as a 4-H horse by my daughter. He is also quiet on the trail
and is now a joy to ride. (My husband and I have been riding and training Arabians for 25 years.)
All the horses I work with are handled in a firm but gentle manner. I love Arabians and all horses,

I need to ask you, how well do your horses behave on the trail? Are you a top ten endurance
rider?

Lynette Helgeson
Riding and training the best breed of them all - Arabians

helgeson@lansford.ndak.net