ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Kasey...Can You Spell "Neurotic"?

Re: [endurance] Kasey...Can You Spell "Neurotic"?

Betsy O'Shea (boshea@magic1.org)
Wed, 15 May 1996 09:28:13 -0600

>To: "Diane E. Nelson" <nelsonde@ttown.apci.com>
>From: Betsy O'Shea <boshea@magic1.org>
>Subject: Re: [endurance] Kasey...Can You Spell "Neurotic"?
>
>Yes my TB mare weaves and I have spent a lot of time observing her in a lot
of different settings and places. It is always done when stressed, usually
when she is stalled and doesn't have a buddy horse next to her. The weaving
becomes so severe that she goes from one foot to the other, lifting the
opposite foot off the ground. She goes at a frantic pace and even will break
out in a sweat. I tried to keep her stalled in the heat of the day when I
lived down south, but she was such a wreck it wasn't worth it. Before I was
able to keep her at home she was also boarded, and with my traveling and
moving, she has been at 8 boarding barns. These things helped. Dutch doors
or stall guards (an absolute must for her) so she can hang her head out.
Large window to look out. a buddy in the next stall. no solid walls between
her and the next horses. stalls with runs lessened the problem but her
weaving is a separation anxiety. When she is pastured, and a buddy is not
with her, she will walk the fences. The amount of turnout time helps, at
least in her stress level. She weaves as much whether fit or not-no
difference. She also paws-all the time!! What can I say, she's off the track
and at least she doesn't crib. Rubber mats are a MUST. I also got tired of
leveling stall floors. I could never solve the problem, I just learned to
lessen it so she doesn't injure or exhaust herself. Is it possible to
exhaust a TB? I doubt it. Now I keep her pastured and she can come into the
barn whenever she feels like it and she is pretty mellow.

Betsy O'Shea and Afterglow
boshea@magic1.org
Paola,Kansas