ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Allowing a horse to choose his own gait - NO!

Re: [endurance] Allowing a horse to choose his own gait - NO!

jude hall (hall@cc.denison.edu)
Wed, 15 May 1996 10:30:09 -0400 (EDT)

Lynette, what the endurance riders are saying is
"You choose the *speed* and let the horse choose
the gait". That is not the same thing that you are
troubled about.....ie - walk is definitely *not*
the same speed as run! ;^)

I haven't commented til now about your posts and
training methods, but I think you sound a bit
rigid....talking about "riding out" temper tantrums,
being sure not to let the horse have its own way,
etc. I agree with several other riders who have
found alternative methods to get their horses to
do the desired end result - *without* "riding out"
a temper tantrum...instead, avoiding the tantrum
altogether, which is what I do also, it makes a lot
more sense to me (and is much safer for me). Frankly,
I don't think I could "ride out" my mare's temper
tantrums, but neither would I consider taking her to
a trainer who would train in that fashion.

Jude Hall
in soggy Ohio
& Kentucky Redbud & Pride's Pure Angel (TWHs)