ridecamp@endurance.net: [charle@tpc.tulane.edu: Re: [endurance] [wencel@foothill.net: Australian Saddles]]

[charle@tpc.tulane.edu: Re: [endurance] [wencel@foothill.net: Australian Saddles]]

Charlene Bartholomae (charle@rhesus.tpc.tulane.edu)
Tue, 14 May 1996 09:52:41 -0700

>Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 23:43:32 -0700
>To: owner-endurance@moscow.com
>From: Celenia Penix <wencel@foothill.net>
>Subject: Australian Saddles
>
>My friend has a Syd Hill Australian stock saddle that she absolutely loves
>and it obviously fits the horse well. She is not using it for distance riding-
>just for trail riding. Is anyone using the Syd Hill Australian Saddle for
>endurance riding (or competitive trail riding) and how do you like it?
>
>Celenia
>wencel@foothill.net
>
>Hi Celenia,
year or so. Rode
my mare in it for short (5-10) mile training sessions and she and I both did
VERY WELL.
No soreness on either part. this was after I was always sore in my Kieffer
all purpose
saddle. BUT after the first 25 mile ride i did on her, her back was full
of bumps.
Lesson: just because the saddle SEEMS to fit on short training rides
doesn't mean it
will necessarily fit on a longer one. I loved the saddle--but found out
afterward that
there were more comfortable saddles (at least for my horse). I very much
would like to
get another Syd Hill that would fit us both (or a dressage saddle) to do
Endurance in.
As far as doing Endurance in an Aussie---that is why I'd like to have
another one.
Very secure for the rider, and if it fits the horse's back too---you have it
made.
As the other person who replied said---the Syd Hill saddles are made to wear
like iron.
I have no doubt you would have a saddle for many, many years. The one i had was
a discontinued line, but weighed about 23 lbs fully rigged w/water bottles
and all.
There is a company that makes saddles (I have a brochure at home) that makes
very
nice--beautiful quality endurance saddles with Poleys like the Aussies for
around 900-1100
dollars. Several endurance riders have them and love them. I think they
fit them to your
horse. I think they are in Tenn. If you are interested, I'll e mail you
address & phone #
some time this week.
Luck.
charlene b.

,
/,`\
_( ) \ Charlene Bartholomae
\-\~~~_|\ \ Department of Pathology
` \ ` \ ` Tulane Regional Primate Research Center
` ` Covington, Louisiana 70433
e-mail: charle@tpc.tulane.edu
_