ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Jigging & Bits

Re: [endurance] Jigging & Bits

MARISA---,'-@ ("MARISA---,'-@")
Mon, 13 May 1996 22:22:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 3 May 1996, K S Swigart wrote:

> I have had some success with teaching a horse onot to "jig" down the
> trail, by actually asking them to do it (i.e. the best way to get a horse
> to do what you ask is to start out by asking them to do what they are
> going to do anyway, after they have gotten in the habbit of doing what
> you ask, then you can ask them to do what YOU want).
>
> The key to making this work is first to ask them to do it *before* they
> do it themselves, and to make them do it some more, even after they have
> gotten tired and want to walk.

This is a wonderful idea! And it is exactly what I've done with Special.
I've tought her to "prance". Then when she get's "dancy", I ask her to
prance, and have her keep it up for awhile, till she's ready to walk. It
works, and has the added plus of being -really- fun to do, and looking
cool. ;-)

If all I'm getting is "I want to run! I want to run!", we do leg yields,
shoulder in, haunches in, half pass back and forth across the trail and
serpentines. Basic dressage training has other benefits, besides a more
rounded horse! If I spend 15-30 minutes working on this kind of stuff on
the trail, then she's ready to listen better, and do what I ask.

Try some dressage stuff. I've found that with my *incredibly high* horse,
it really helps.

On bits: Special has a very sensitive mouth, and was a confirmed rearer
when I got her. If I use any type of "curb" bit on her, she starts going
up again (mullen mouth pelham, low port curb). So I ride her in a fairly
thin, loose ring snaffle. It's more work, and takes "total body" riding.
But she's a much happier horse, and keeps her front feet on the ground.
I'm hoping that when I begin doing 50's, that by the 1/2 way vet check I
will be able to switch her to a side pull, or a halter with a rope
noseband. That will give her mouth a rest. Once she has the "edge
off", she listens very well, and is a really wonderful horse!

purpl2@teleport.com * No rainbows...*