ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Endurance tack

Re: [endurance] Endurance tack

MARISA---,'-@ ("MARISA---,'-@")
Mon, 13 May 1996 20:24:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 1 May 1996 BECHACK@aol.com wrote:

> Ellen...Now I am just a rank beginner ( only 1 1/2 years of this ) and on a
> very limited budget...( 5 kids, 5 horses ) Stay with what you have for now.
> See what works, and what doesn't. Watch what everyone has at the rides. We
> always check out what everyone is wearing to the trailer/truck/campers they
> have. We always wlalk away wanting to modify something, even just a
> little...

Count me in here too! 3 kids, 3 horses, 2 dogs, 1 husband, a -very-
limited budget, and a partridge in a pear tree.... ;-) This is very good
advice!

> I began with a shell on the truck, now have a simple camper, but at least I
> stay warm and can stand up to change clothes. Would like to upgrade to a
> self-contained camper but don't want to go longer than 8', as we already
> pull a 4 horse rig with a crew cab, I don't need anything longer at the small
> gas stations.

We just bought an old '66 8 foot camper. To go on my '66 chevy truck. We
found it in the nickle ads, and got it for $250. It doesn't have a
toilet, but it has heat, a stove, and it's a -whole lot- easier to change
in than the back of the Blazer.

> I am still riding in my western saddle. It fits me and both of my horses, so
> I can't complain. There is a place to attach everything I want to take with
> me.

I started training in my old bulldogging saddle, that my grandpa gave me
when I was 15. Worked ok, but defiinitely didn't fit Special, and was
-way- too heavy! About a year ago I bought a used, all-purpose,
argentine saddle from a friend for $200. It fits both of us great, is
very light, and I LOVE IT! I solved the saddle bag problem by taking it
to the local saddle shop, and having them put D-rings and latigo on the
back for me. There are 4, 2 in the center, and 2 off to the sides. I
made my own saddle bags, out of old jeans, that are just the right size
for my saddle and what I want to carry. (They look pretty cool, if I do
say so myself) *:) I just couldn't get used to not carrying saddle bags.
This method works really nicely, and he only charged me $5 to do it.

> We all use narrow nylon breastcollars. They attach to the saddle (english or
> western) and across the top of the neck. Really keeps it off the windpipe
> and the saddle where it belongs. I bought mine at my second ride. It is
> sized for the arab in mind!!!!! I like Nylon because it is so easy to care
> for. Toss in to the washer ( frequently ) salt from sweat makes them stiff,
> but won't rot out wetting the horse down at the vet checks etc. I don't have
> time for high maintenance items of any kind. I also work outside the home
> FULLTIME, and all the kids are into sports.

I have a biothane breastcoolar, and halter-headstall. I LOVE them! The
upkeep is -zip- Hose it off when it gets yucky! It's a pretty large
initial investment. But I think it's worth it, and it lasts forever.

purpl2@teleport.com * No rainbows...*