ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: [endurance] Hunter's bump and jigging

RE: [endurance] Hunter's bump and jigging

helgeson@lansford.ndak.net
Fri, 10 May 1996 09:22:49 PDT

Tina you wrote:

>I had a hot had-to-be-first-always horse a few years back with
>whom I tried the circling routine; result-he got very good at doing circles;
>in fact, he just went into "arena mode" when I started a circle
>doing watever I askd at whatever gait, then resumed jigging once I
>left the circle. The only thing that stopped the jigging was letting him
>choose the pace, which was often inappropriate. A number of
>other people tried this technique with him figuring I was just inept
>with no better success. My conlusion: this techneque doesn't work
>with some horses. Does anyone think this jigging business is a
>genectic predisposition?

First of all what do you mean by "hot?" The only problem
with this horse was he had the rider figured out. He knew
how to get his way.What an intelligent horse. He took a
good training tool and figured out a way around it and then
still got his way. I am impressed with this horse. What Brains!
I wish you still had him, I would have loved working with him.
If circling didn't work then you needed to keep trying
different training techniques till you found one that worked.
Then you would have had the best riding and endurance horse
you ever owned. I know because I own and ride one like that.
He tried every way possible to get away with things. He was the
hardest horse I ever trained because he was always trying to outsmart
me. But he is the most loyal horse and is always doing what I ask. To
the point that it suprises me what he will give. Their is nothing that
horse won't do for me, because he respects me. But it was hard work
to gain that respect. but he gives in abundance!

As far as this jigging business being a genetic predisposition.... the only
thing that is genetic is this horses intelligence. Jigging or prancing or misbahavior
or being hot or whatever you want to call it is a learned bad behavior taught
to a horse by the person handling it. There is nothing genetic about it.

To everyone in endurance, I train horses and specialize in Arabians and
other warm blooded breeds. Since I have been shooting my mouth off
on how I can handle Arabs maybe someone would like to see me try.
I would love the challange because I love the breed. And I truly believe
Arabians are very misunderstood by the general public.

Lynette Helgeson
Diamond-H Ranch
helgeson@lansford.ndak.net