>From: hickst@puzzler.nichols.com (Tina Hicks)
>Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 09:42:16 -0500
>Subject: [endurance] extras as preventative?

>So...in all the discussion about extras like MSM, Cosequan, Adequan, and
>others like Flex-free etc...what is the general concensus about using
these
>things as prevention instead of for repair?? Is there any evidence that
>using extras before you have a problem helps prevent the problem?

>Tina and crew
>hickst@nichols.com
>Huntsville, AL

----

Hi Tina,

I have first hand information from Dr. Nancy Loving, DVM. that she
advocates the use of Adequan as a prophylactic. Since, Cosequin
(Chondroitin Sulfate) is the oral counterpart, I would think that would be
advocated as a preventative also.

One would need to weigh the costs and benefits of the two types of
treatments Herein lies the problem. I don't think the studies have been
done to see if prophylactic treatment with these compounds is cost
effective or safe for endurance. If you don't care about cost, to me it
would make sense to use the compounds as preventative. IF, there are no
subtle side-effects. I don't know that studies have been done on
side-effects either. And, even if they have, would the horse's activity be
rigorous enough to hold up to the stress that an endurance horse is placed
under? Personally, I think I would be most concerned with the
anti-inflamatory effect of these compounds interfering with the metabolic
performance of my horse. But, like I said, I don't think the studies have
been done with endurance horses. At least not formal studies.

At this point in time, I have not heard that the AERC Vet Committee has a
problem with the use of these compounds, however, one never knows what
compound or alternative therapy they will rule against next.

Linda Van Ceylon
lvanceylon@vines.colostate.edu
phone: 970-491-1428