ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] More Bits

Re: [endurance] More Bits

renee been (pisos@gnn.com)
Thu, 02 May 1996 08:16:49

Hi there,
I too have a "beastie" who thinks that whoe is a four letter word. My
arms would fall off if I used a snaffle, but he is almost too sensitive for
the Kimberwicke that i use on him. I found a solution that he happens to
love however. I found some rubber vet wrap and wrapped the Kimberwicke. It
made it fatter which he seems to like. Then I made a polar fleece curb chain
guard. Now he seems to love the bit--and responds well to it without head
tossing etc. I've used it that way for three years, and just now had to
replace the rubber. I read some book on bits several years ago at a friends
house, and it was really good. It helped "diagnose" the horse problem and
helped match a bit with the problem. I found that I need stopping power, but
have an overly sensitive horse who tosses his head with the Kimberwicke,
which otherwise seemed to work. The book talked about ways to stop head
tossing---ie decrease discomfort (that's how I got the idea to cover the curb
chain) and the book also mentioned that a fatter bit, and a rubber bit also
decreases severity. The book did give the tip about wrapping a bit in
rubber. AT any rate "Fire" seems to love his bit now.
Renee Been Northern. CA & Fire
>Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:08:30 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Diane E. Nelson" <nelsonde@ttown.apci.com>
>Sender: owner-endurance@moscow.com
>To: Alexandra <74672.737@compuserve.com>
>cc: unknown <endurance@moscow.com>
>Subject: Re: [endurance] More Bits
>
>Can you describe this bit in a little more detail? Also have you ever
>seen it advertised in a catalogue that we might refer to it? I'm looking
>for something for Mr T, the inconsiderate little beastie who thinks
>"Whoa" is a 4-letter word! We have a Kimberwicke, but it just makes him
>snarl. Snaffles...not hardly. Even a Vosal...he'll rub himself raw
>running through it.
>
>And Mom just doesn't feel like putting Mr. Snotty Puss back in the ring
>for Dressage 'r Us lessons. Gave him to Kevin for a reason, dontcha' know!
>
>Diane @ Safe Haven
renee been