ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Chondroitin Sulfates and MSM

Re: [endurance] Chondroitin Sulfates and MSM

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 14:07:50 -0500 (EST)

Celina,

You wrote:
> Does any of these products help in the healing of sprains and strains of
> ligaments and/or tendons? Do they help older horses that have arthritis?
> If so, which is the better product to use? Any input on these two
> products would be helpful, good, bad, or otherwise.

I have been told by several respected veterinarians that oral
chondroitin sulfates (C.S.) are inactivated by the pH of the stomach.
They report very little evidence of improvement when joint fluid is examined.
On the other hand, if you talk to some horse owners they will swear
that it has helped their horse. (Is the horse better, or is it the
perception of the owner?)

<Injectable> C.S. has been scientifically shown to improve the
affected, injected joint.

Either preparation of C.S. is relatively costly.

My experience w/ MSM is nil - sorry. Look forward to hearing about MSM.

Are MSM & C.S. acceptable as nutritional additives, or are they
banned as drugs in the endurance horse?

Linda Flemmer
ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"