ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] riding thru deadfall

Re: [endurance] riding thru deadfall

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 17:27:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Linda Flemmer wrote:

> We are riding on trails that have brush and trees down after the
> winter. The hand clippers we bring for stray branches are DEFINITELY
> not enough. We try to keeps the trails open so that we can ride
> faster than a walk when we go out to train!
>
> What are you using as a portable saw that fits on the saddle?
> Folding saw, bow saw, etc? Any favorites & a source to buy it from?
> Sometimes I think that we need to build a chainsaw carrier on the
> back of the saddle!

I use a machete which I got from an Army surplus store (so it is GI and
has an olive drab scabbard that can be attached to a belt--or a saddle).
Sometimes I will also carry a hatchet (if I think I am going to be
encountering alot of logs rather than alot of brush and undergrowth.

My mother gave me a folding pull saw (much easier to use than one that
pushes) which works quite nicely, but I have yet to need it out on the
trail.

If I find that I need something more than a machete or a hatchet,
then I set aside a day for trail maintenance (rather than
riding/training) and take along whatever I will need (e.g. sledge hammer,
axe, chain saw, appropriate male company to do much of the heavy labor, etc.)

Alot of times I will just drag my TB mare (Sonny the bulldozer) along
behind me, and she widens the path quite nicely.

I have also been known to take advantage of CalTrans, the California
Department of Forestry, and the Fire Department (they bring hot shots out
to train on our property) and get them to do the clearing for me by
saying something along the lines of "As long as you are here with your
tractor/bulldozer/fire engine/crew of 50 people, could you do me a
favor? Up around that bend...."

Hope this helps.

kat
Orange County, Calif.