ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] RE: Hopping/Skipping Horse

Re: [endurance] RE: Hopping/Skipping Horse

Diane E. Nelson (nelsonde@ttown.apci.com)
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 12:03:20 -0400 (EDT)

First advice--find yourself a very good instructor and take lessons!

You need to start with the basics, in the ring and have him obeying your
every command, lightly & willingly. You mustn't allow him to lean on you
by getting behind the bit.

Start with a nice forward walk down the long side of the ring, then make
a 15 meter circle at the midpoints and the ends of the ring--do this both
directions several times. Then progress to 2-3 10 meter circles down the
long side, with one 10 meter circle at the end. Once you have
established this pattern, with him on the bit, you relaxed and your legs
swaying gently with the walk, then progress to a slow posting trot and
repeat the set. Then begin to alternate posting with sitting trot--sit
the circles, post the in-between. When comfortable with this you may
progress to an open field and repeat the pattern. Always start with the
walk and always go back to the walk when things get out of hand.

Another exercise: do frequent changes of gait, e.g. do 4 strides walk, 3
strides trot, 2 strides walk, 5 strides trot, etc. Add this to your
pattern above. Also add serpentines to aid in bending.

Learn the value of the half-halt and learn to use your back & seat to
control the speed. The bit should be used only to cue the horse that a
change is coming, pay attention--it's not for leaning or evading!

If you are out on trail and you find yourself in the situation where the
horse is leaning, pulling, whatever, use a strong half-halt with the
"outside" rein (pick one, any one), stiffen your back and squeeze your
buttocks, then immediately release. You should feel a hesitation in the
pace. Ask with the "inside leg" for an "inside bend" as if preparing for
a half-pass. This should get his attention--if the speed slows, then
lots of "good boys" and relax. Don't expect a lot at first. If you are
ignored, do it again, and again--three strikes, then rip his face off!
Turn him in a tight circle and proceed--make it uncomfortable to not listen!

But again--I urge you to take some lessons. Don't get yourself in a
pickle because you don't have a bag of tricks handy, at an unconscious
level, to deal with any and all situations.

Good luck

Diane @ Safe Haven
Allentown, PA