ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] sore

Re: [endurance] sore

Diane E. Nelson (nelsonde@ttown.apci.com)
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 08:47:55 -0400 (EDT)

Oh my, Russ!!! Two-pointed the whole distance??? No, no!! You need to
learn to POST THE WHOLE DISTANCE! And regularly change diagonals
(believe me, been there, done it!). No wonder you hurt. You've
subjected your body (and I'm going to ignore, for purposes of this
discussion, how badly your horse's withers/shoulders, etc feel from the
constant pressure) to continual, one-dimensional stress/shock. It
definitely is not "standard muscle soreness" and if you continue to ride
this way over long distances you will pay dearly in joint wear in your
knees and ankles.

Did you do stretches before you mounted up, did you do a few exercises in
the saddle before the start, did you periodically bend & stretch from the
waist & hips as the ride progressed? I have a slew of really good
exercises to do while mounted (yes, even at speed) that will loosen tense
muscles, reset the seatbones properly and reposition the leg. If
interested email me at safehavn@fast.net--I've posted several of these to
the net during discussions about ringwork/training (look in the archives,
Jan-Mar, '96).

Even when you do all the "right things" you will still have some muscle
soreness. Kevin likes to walk/run alongside the horse for awhile--gives
both of them a break (OK for AERC rides only, ECTRA/NATRC don't
allow--too bad). I usually start my day with a couple Nuprine (yeah, I
know all about the tummy problems but it's the only thing that works for
me) and if it gets ouchy later (knee especially) I'll take DayPro which
is an anti-inflammatory (Prescription only).

Also consider what stirrups you are using. Do you have a wide enough
base for your foot?

And, BTW, it really does get better! Hang in there!

Diane @ SAfe Haven
Allentown, PA