ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] RE: [Endurance] Riding

Re: [endurance] RE: [Endurance] Riding

Diane E. Nelson (nelsonde@ttown.apci.com)
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:03:48 -0400 (EDT)

One of the most common mistakes my students make is assuming that the
feet have nothing to do with the rest of the body! Wrong! You need to
distribute your weight evenly, and that includes using your feet to
balance and absorb the shock of posting through the ankles, knees, hips.
Forget "heels down", think "drop knees" instead. Concentrate on a level
foot in the stirrups with "home" being slightly past the ball of the
foot. Hunter-jumpers need to keep the ball of the foot on the bars at
all times in order to achieve that exaggerated heels-down posture. For
trail--forget it, your feet would numb out in minutes.

When posting, let your lower leg rest comfortably, without undue pressure
against the horse's side, relax the thigh (let a little daylight in
here), balance on your seatbones and rise from the hips as if you had a
string attached to your navel & someone was gently pulling up and forward
with the string. Let your heels drop naturally, rhythmically as you
rise, breathe deeply and exhale as you come down and allow the heels to
return to "level".

What this accomplishes is a very relaxed post that is feather-light. You
have balance, leg contact for when you need it, no pinchy knees 'cause
your thigh is relaxed, and a light seat controlled from your hips. So
when you switch diagonals, the little "bounce" is hardly noticable.
Practice going down the trail in a straight line, level ground, and count
to ten on one diagonal, then switch & count to 10 again. Then count to 5
& switch, then 3 & switch, then back up again. Once you have the rhythm,
go in a ring and do 20 meter circles, alternating diagonals. Do lots of
serpentines--does wonders for you and the horse.

If this isn't clear just email me at safehavn@fast.net.

Good luck

Diane @ Safe Haven
Allentown, PA