ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #413

[endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #413

rtsantana@ucdavis.edu
Tue, 23 Apr 96 15:44:54 +0900

//--- forwarded letter

> From: Linda Flemmer <CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu>
> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:31:23 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Re: [endurance] Tying up and Kidneys
>
> Kat
>
> You wrote:
>
> > Can anyone elaborate on when kidney damage starts if your horse
> > starts to tie up? While the causes are enough for many posts in
> > itself, I'd like to know more about what happens to the kidneys.
> <snip>
> > The horse in question showed no signs of cramping or even slowing
> > down. Just a dark colored urine that returned to normal within
> > an hour with rest and lots of water. We are certainly not
> > planning on repeating this mistake. Thanks.
>
> It is hard to say, since I wasn't there, but it sounds like the horse
> was experiencing dehydration rather then tying up. (No cramping or
> slowing down, return to baseline w/ adequate fluid intake.) Urine
> becomes concentrated (& therefore dark) if the
> horse has not been drinking enough. This self-corrects (w/ no
> immediate kidney damage) if the animal is provided w/ adequate fluids.
>
> I am not sure how severe tying up syndrome needs to be to show signs
> of renal damage. Can any vets chip in?
>
> Linda Flemmer
> Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
> Chesapeake, VA

The urine will become more concentrated with solids as the horse
dehydrates. Just like people, the color should still be yellow, ranging
from clear (lots of water) to milky yellow (more solids). The
characteristic brown color of "tying up" is MYOGLOBIN from muscle tissue
damage. The darker the brown the more MYOGLOBIN, the more damage that is
occuring. My vets have advised immediate BANAMINE treatment for these
symptoms. I.V. fluids may be necessary in severe cases with diuretics to
induce kidney function. So, brown is bad not just a symptom of
dehydration. You also want to a blood panel done if you think the horse
is in need of treatment. This will show the pattens of muscle damage in
the blood enzyme concentrations (CPK, SGOT).

Ray Santana
UC Davis Medical Center
Network Operations
raymond.santana@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu