ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Tying up and Kidneys

Re: [endurance] Tying up and Kidneys

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:31:23 -0500 (EST)

Kat

You wrote:

> Can anyone elaborate on when kidney damage starts if your horse
> starts to tie up? While the causes are enough for many posts in
> itself, I'd like to know more about what happens to the kidneys.
<snip>
> The horse in question showed no signs of cramping or even slowing
> down. Just a dark colored urine that returned to normal within
> an hour with rest and lots of water. We are certainly not
> planning on repeating this mistake. Thanks.

It is hard to say, since I wasn't there, but it sounds like the horse
was experiencing dehydration rather then tying up. (No cramping or
slowing down, return to baseline w/ adequate fluid intake.) Urine
becomes concentrated (& therefore dark) if the
horse has not been drinking enough. This self-corrects (w/ no
immediate kidney damage) if the animal is provided w/ adequate fluids.

I am not sure how severe tying up syndrome needs to be to show signs
of renal damage. Can any vets chip in?

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"