ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Bit types

[endurance] Bit types

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:41:23 -0500 (EST)

Linda,

You wrote:

> I would like to know more about
> different bits used for enduance. I use a jointed kimberwick and want to
> know which is more harsh, this or a ported one. Do some of you prefer a
> snaffle and why and are there snaffles that offer some control without being
> too harsh? And what about the vosels?

I have no experience w/ vosals, but I can comment on the other bits.
Snaffles become more severe as they become thinner, then throw in
different types of joints, double joints, twisted wires, etc. The
amount of control that one has using a snaffle depends on the horse's
and rider's training. (Do you use seat & voice for control in
addition to the bit, or bit alone? Has the horse's mouth been abused
in the past so that he is less sensitive?) Straight bar snaffles
tend to be milder than jointed snaffles. The straight bars put
pressure on the lips and evenly on the bars of the mouth. The joint
allows a mild nut cracker action, thus slightly more severe.

Curbs (straight bar or jointed) are bits that use a chain or strap
under the chin. The exert the same pressures as the snaffle + a
pinching action at the jaw by using the chain or strap. Loose shanks
tend to "warn" the horse that motion is coming before he is pinched.
A straight bar, even w/ a mild port, is milder than a jointed bit
(again). Longer shanks provide more leverage, thus more pinching
action of the jaw. High ports encourages a head carriage that allows
the port to lay against the tongue. If you pull on this bit or if
the horse tosses his head, the port will bump the roof of the mouth.
(Hence a high port would not be my choice for a horse working on a
trail - he needs to change his head carriage to eat, drink, climb,
etc.)

In my opinion, the straight bar Kimberwicke is one of the mildest
curb bits available. We are using an Uxeter Kimberwicke on a "strong"
horse we ride - it has slots on the shanks for different rein positions to
allow for more or less curbing action. The other horse is working
happily in a fat hollow mouth jointed snaffle for now.

I hope that this helps.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"