ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Layoffs

[endurance] Layoffs

Sullys Maze (Sully@forsythe.stanford.edu)
Mon, 22 Apr 96 07:27:42 PDT

[38820] MON 04/22/96 06:40 FROM nelsonde@ttown.apci.com "Diane E. Nelson": Re:
[endurance] Off ride season; 41 LINES

Given the option I'd lay off for a solid 6 weeks then ride lightly on
weekends to keep them "tuned up".

Diane @ Safe Haven - wishing I'd had warm-weather "problems"!!! ;)
Allentown, PA

On Sun, 21 Apr 1996 Shareeka@aol.com wrote:

> Hey everone, I was wondering what everyone does when it is not ride season.
> Here in Florida Season is more or less over the end of May. Do you all
> let your horses off for a month or a few months completely or do you
> continue light training or just general trail or pleasure riding, ring work,
> or what. I guess my main question is should they totally rest for a period
> of time with no riding or does riding continue on as pleasure riding ?
> Shareeka, Big Pine Key, FL

----
After last year, I have to agree with Diane.

My mare was in great condition, but just seemed to be less than
enthusiastic about going out. This was a mare I NEVER had to push,
she became really pokey going out, and really fast returning.

In July, she got a really bad respiratory infection. Not eating,
lots of antibiotics. Looked really bad. But she recovered and
my vet said lay her off about 6 weeks. I laid her off 3 months.

When I started taking her out again, the change was amazing. I
had my old, enthusiastic mare back again.

Karen

To: ENDURANCE@MOSCOW.COM