ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #381

Re: [endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #381

daadmin@psln.com
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:55:20 -0700

On Fri, 05 Apr 96, glawson@lr.net (Gail Lawson) wrote:
>Hello Dorothy: From my two years of research on saddles, the type and
>size of your horse is the first consideration; then your size and type
>of riding, the second. Laney Humphrey (who is on this list) has
>written an EXCELLENT booklet entitled "Choosing a Saddle for Endurance
>and Competitive Riding." It is only 9.50, I think, and is very
>informative.
>
>A bought a Marciante a year ago, made for my short-backed Arab mare,
>and it simply did not work. Frank Marciante was very cooperative and
>tried to make adjustments for the saddle to work but it just didn't
>fit her and he finally took it back. The panels were too long, it
>bridged, and she was very uncomfortable in it. I was too. I'm 5'1"
>114 lbs. The seat was a 15" which is standard for Marciantes and it
>was way too big for me.

>The comparison between OF and Marciante is almost apples and oranges
>because the quality of workmanship and leather is much greater with
>the OF. Marciante is a functional piece of equipment and thus much
>less expensive.
>
>I have never tried an Ortho Flex and there are lots of opinions either
>very good or very bad about the OFs. The consensus, as I understand
>it, is they don't do well on short-backed horses. Sometimes, with a
>lot of adjusting and patience, they can be made to work well. Others
>love 'em and never have problems. Hope this helps. Gail in New
>Hampshire glawson@lr.net
>
>Fri, 5 Apr 1996 08:09:35 -0800 you wrote:
>

>>>Hello out there. This is my first internet attempt at communication, so
please
>>bear with me.
>>
>>>I am just getting started and have yet to purchase an appropriate saddle.
>>>Currently I'm looking at Orthoflex and Marciente. I am looking for riders of
>>>either saddle and their opinions regarding same. Any opinions???
>>
>>>Thanks. ... Dorothy Beebe

>>Dorothy - the best place to look for saddle opinions is the
>>endurance@moscow.com archives - follow the links from the homepage
>>(http://www.endurance.net) to endurance online - and the archives.
>>You'll find MANY messages about saddles and saddle preference.
>>
>>Steph Teeter

Gail--
Thanks for the info. I thought the Marciente may be too good to be true. (my
mom always did say, "you get what you pay for." This time she may have been
right!) I'm also going to check into getting a copy of the book you mentioned.
I'm new to all this horse stuff, so I'm mainly trying to gain as much info as I
can before I actually make a purchase.

Dorothy