ridecamp@endurance.net: Re[2]: [endurance] water supply

Re[2]: [endurance] water supply

LONG JUDY (long.judy@smtpgateway.centigram.com)
Mon, 15 Apr 96 16:15:19 PST

Linda Flemmer wrote:
>Like many horses, my gelding will drink from a soda can,
>sports bottle, or muddy hoof print if it is all that's available.
>You said you carry water for the horse. Do you bring a
>collapsible bucket, or does he drink from the containers? Do you
>ever use a spritz bottle & cooling cloth on his poll?

I use a cut off Clorox bottle as a scoop and the horse will drink out
of that. He will also drink out of anything if he is thirsty but I
haven't tried a bottle or a soda can! We have used collapsible
buckets and its best to have both. With the scoop you can get water
out of shallow spots. You can also use it to dump water on the
horse. With the collapsible bucket you can lower it into a stream
that might be hard or dangerous for you to get down to. We've tied
two tailing ropes together and lowered a bucket 15 feet off a bridge
to get water. We also used it at a canal that had fencing on both
sides. Both items are very handy!

I've never used a spritz bottle but it sounds like a good idea. I do
dump any extra water that I can on him. I've seen the "Cool Offs" on
horses but I haven't tried them. They do look a little goofy but
maybe they help.

Judy Long
Hayward, California