ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Chryptorchid colts

Re: [endurance] Chryptorchid colts

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 12:25:25 -0700 (PDT)

On 10 Apr 1996, Kathy Myers wrote:

> In an extreme case like the one posted to this list where there
> never was a second testicle, couldn't the testosterone levels in
> the blood be tested? I mean, if you know you've gotten one and
> can't find the other in 3 attempts, why not just look for testosterone
> in the blood? No 2nd testicle, no testosterone? Right?

Wrong. Testosterone is not produced only by testicles. It can also be
produced by the adrenal glands. You will find testosterone in the blood
of a mare. There has been much speculation that a "proud cut" gelding is
just one that is producing substantial amounts of testosterone somewhere
else in the body, thus making the horse "studdy" and is not necessarily
the result of an "incomplete" gelding operation.

kat