ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] stirrups & heel spurs

Re: [endurance] stirrups & heel spurs

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Tue, 02 Apr 1996 14:54:59 -0500 (EST)

Lee,

You wrote:
> My husband has heel spurs which seem to be more painful after riding a
> few hours. I thought that maybe e-z ride stirrups or some other kind of
> thicker stirrups might help. Has anyone with heel spurs tried this and
> have you had any relief? What kind of stirrups helped?
> Thanks,
> Lee Clark

In addition to my bad knees, I have heel spurs & plantar fasciitis
(inflamation of the fibrous sheet under the sole of my foot.) I
found that I am MUCH more comfortable with the Trail Tech stirrups
than anything else. I had tried wider, platform stirrups, hunt
stirrups, "flex" stirrups. The Trail Techs have a rubber donut at
the top that "squishes" as you put weight into the stirrups & acts as
a shock absorber.

It did take a little getting used to - it feels as though the
stirrups are running away from you the first few times I used them.
I had asked how long I should expect the rubber donut to last just
yesterday - the response from this list have been that they last a VERY
long time & are considered a replaceable part if they do wear out.

The older metal style Trail Techs accomodate a narrower foot than the
new plastic ones. If your husband's foot is wider, he may want to
consider this if he finds a second-hand pair for sale. I have also
found icing my feet after riding & taking Advil (IF I'm not
dehydrated) helps as well. I hope that this helps.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"