ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] rider weight

Re: [endurance] rider weight

Diane E. Nelson (nelsonde@ttown.apci.com)
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 11:43:01 -0500 (EST)

Yes, it most definitely does make a significant difference. And the
longer the distance, the faster the speed, the more important the weight
factor becomes.

I'm sure you are familiar with handicapping at the racetrack. Weights
are assigned so that ideally all the horses come down to the wire in a
dead heat. One reason fillies are assigned 121 lbs rather than the 126
for the boys is to make for a "level playing field".

I typically condition our horses and Kevin competes with a 40-50 lb
advantage. One reason I don't do 50 milers is because of my weight. I
simply won't ask a horse to carry the weight during race conditions where
so much is out of my direct control. At home I can control the pace and
decide what feels right/wrong at any given time.

A heavyweight rider however is not necessarily "handicapped" by the extra
pounds if that rider stays centered, light in the seat and flexible in
the joints. A situation where the horse must carry dead weight to make
the 165 FEI cut-off is at a greater disadvantage because the dead-weight
does not move freely in synch with the motion.

If you plan to "catch-ride" a horse used to a lighter load, you will
definitely need to pre-ride that horse quite a bit so as to not impair
its chances for a successful finish.

Diane @ Safe Haven
Allentown, PA