ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Aussie Saddle Overgirth

[endurance] Aussie Saddle Overgirth

Natalie Arnold & Richard Goodwin (trailride@foothill.net)
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 22:52:58 -0800

Hi, saw your posting on news:rec.equestrian:

>I have a question about Australian saddles: doesn't the overgirth
>pinch the rider? I've never ridden in one but that looks uncomfortable,
>just waiting to grab a bit of jean and skin. I'm sort of intrigued by
>them otherwise, comfortable and secure like a good western trail/stock
>saddle, but with better contact. Any input?

I would have posted back there, but having problems with that part of
my system (&*%#$!!!)

We use aussie saddles on our two boys. The overgirth is not a problem
in any way, but in fact we don't use it. With a bit of ingenuity
regarding the girth used (you may have to shave down the sides of the
billet straps to fit a standard English girth buckle) you can dispense
with the overgirth strap. It really is a piece of overkill. I suspect
that the aussie counterparts of our cowboys use it to clamp the saddle
down REAL TIGHT for use in cattle work. It does give you more leverage
in tightening the saddle than you would ever get on an ordinary English
saddle.

Yes, aussie saddles are comfortable and secure. My arab made a sudden
stop to drink from a puddle the other day and the whole action of
stopping and reaching down to drink would have pitched me over his head
if I had been using my English saddle! As it was I was saved by those
"mouse ears."

Australian saddles are very well made, excellent workmanship. Ours are
the "Suprema Boree Poley" made by Syd Hill & Sons, Brisbane, imported
by Austrailian Connection here in Northern California.

Hope this helps. Feel free to repost this to rec.eq

_ ,--/ trailride@foothill.net is the address of
<_ __/ /\| Natalie's "Barn & Breakfast" in Weimar, CA.
( )__, ) ~ A B&B for horses (and their riders)
// '--; in the heart of Tevis Country. (916) 637-4644