ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] rear shoeing

Re: [endurance] rear shoeing

Jay Ferguson (jayf@win.bright.net)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 15:06:53 -0800

Betsy O'Shea wrote:

> The difficulty may not be a training problem. My mare was difficult to shoe
> in the rear because she had hock problems and it was the movement and
> extreme flexion that was painful for her. Why wouldn't you start with the
> vet first before you went to the trainers and ropes.
> Betsy O'Shea
> boshea@magic1.org
> Paola,Kansas

If the problem is pain then use the vet, if the problem is attitude then
the horse needs to be trained to stand for shoeing.
If the vet uses a nerve block or sedates the horse then you will need
to do it every time you shoe the horse. It's easier to teach the horse
that he will not get hurt than to use drugs all the time. The reason I
said good farrier is that if the horse will let you trim him, your
problem might be solved as easily as using GLU-STRIDER shoes. (No Nails)

PS: When I say ropes I don't mean like cowboy on a Christmas turkey.