ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] re: conditioning for a 50

Re: [endurance] re: conditioning for a 50

Tina Hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:36:52 -0600

and then Tommy wrote:
>I have to echo Sue's sentiments. Readying a horse for hilly terrian is
>something that we Western and SW Regional riders (NW as well) must
>really deal with. I mean The Tevis Cup has over 30k in combined ascent
and decent. *snip* Climbing is definately a trained ability.

Okay guys, let me set the record straight <G> I never meant to imply that a
little ring riding a few times a week would take you to the Tevis - the
original discussion was about 50's - not one of the toughest 100's in the
nation! The original post was, I think, asked from a standpoint of "can I
go out there and do it safely and complete - not necessarily ride at a
winning pace".

The point of my posts (again!) was not to, in any way, make light of
conditioning (hills or otherwise) but rather to emphasize that conditioning
to complete 50s can be done on a lot less than I (and obviously at least
one other) originally thought. Since my goals are similar to the of the
original poster (was it you, Marisa?) I posted in that light.

I am also fully aware of the value of hill work and do incorporate it into
my routine on weekend conditioning rides. As a matter of fact that's
exactly how Tony got injured - going up a hill that apparently had a piece
of glass in it :-<

So be careful what hill you go up as it may not do your conditioning
program *any* good <g>

Tina
Tony -- (who's not doing any conditioning - hills or otherwise - as it's
hard to go anywhere on 3 legs :-<)