ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] (endurance) all or none

Re: [endurance] (endurance) all or none

Barrie Avis (barrie@avis.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 20:39:03 +0000

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.960315075304.4172A-100000@julie.teleport.com>,
"MARISA---,'-@" <purpl2@teleport.com> writes
>On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, robyn burgess wrote:
>
>> A note in a zip-loc bag that reads "If you find this horse without a
>rider....."

We ALWAYS put a label on the saddle with the mobile phone number of the
organiser. We make the labels out of the lid of an empty margarine tub -
cut out a piece about 2x1 inches, punch a hole in a corner, and put a
tie string through it. At the ride venue write the phone number on with
a WATERPROOF marker pen.

Many rides here insist you have such a label and will not let you start
without one.

_____________
Janet learnt the hard way.

First ever pleasure ride with Bozuk 3 years ago - horizontal rain, poor
visibility, gale (typical Welsh spring day). Wind and new activity
(riding with others) got him all gee'd up so she split off separately.
He still wpuld not settle so she got off to walk. Bo pulled away and was
last seen galloping up the mountain side (rolling heather, not too rocky
thank goodness) and disappearing over the top. Miles from civilisation.

Janet trudged up hill after him.

10 minutes later head appears over the top looking down at her. Bo lets
out a neigh and comes charging down towards her - flat out. Comes to a
screeching slithering stop beside her.

It was too lonely up there on his own.

Afterwards she realised she did NOT have a label on him! Never again.

--
Barrie Avis          Gwent, S.Wales, UK           barrie@avis.demon.co.uk
                     Phone/FAX  01633 882005