ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Self-carriage

[endurance] Self-carriage

rsantana@ucdavis.edu
Fri, 15 Mar 96 12:30:57 +0800

HOORAY!!!!! Finally someone has defined "natural way of going" and improving
"carriage." There have been several article and lectures aimed at endurance riders
for improving the horses way of going yet I still see many riders off the seat,
hanging on the reins, horse's head way up, etc., etc. I'm sure we have all
experienced the point at which our horse becomes relaxed aand begins to stretch out
and down in front.
My arab youngsters all have a naturally low head carriage and long strides.
This makes for a very animated ride for me, especially at the trot. Posting is no
problem with these guys. Trotting eats up the ground without a lot of strides,
unlike many horses with the short, choppy trot.
Again Diane, nice essay!!!!

//--- forwarded letter -------------------------------------------------------

> From: "Diane E. Nelson" <nelsonde@ttown.apci.com>
> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 12:34:11 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: [endurance] Self-carriage
>
> There is a definite difference amongst the various breeds in terms of how
> a horse will fulfill the human image of "Self Carriage".
>
> The Warmblood, particularly the Swedish, Danish and Hanoverians, have a
> high dgree of self-carriage, seemingly beginning at birth. Observe foals
> at liberty and they will display a natural "down-and-round", floating
> kind of gait. However, the Warmbloods are very difficult to collect,
> particularly if the rider is short-legged. That is why in the States you
> see so much "false collection", with the dramatic break at the poll and
> the horse dragging its hind end around the ring. "Down and round" does
> NOT equal "collection". What the breed gives you is a fighting chance,
> with proper seat and educated hands, to achieve real collection.
>
> The Thoroughbred is much easier to collect but will display (depending
> upon breeding and training) varying degrees of natural self-carriage.
> Again watch the babies. And the TB has the additional advantage of
> intelligence and willingness to work that the so-called "dumb-bloods" do
> not.
>
> Then we have our Arabs. These guys hit the ground with erect tails and
> noses pointed to the moon! Watch the babies. The natural way of going
> is head erect, concave back, elevated croup. Add the weight of a rider
> and you further "hollow out" the picture. I can get an Arab to travel
> with his nose on the ground (the ultimate down 'n round), but only after
> 2 years of careful, correct training--including correct lateral work.
> Could we hazard a guess that self-carriage for Arabs is different from
> that of WB & TB's, especially at the trot? Most Arabs going down the
> trail will have--on average--a more erect way-of-going. Perhaps we need
> to redefine the concept of self-carriage for the trail horse. Within the
> normal parameters it is easy to spot that which is "incorrect" -- stiff,
> stabby gait, hind end dragging along like some kind of caboose,
> exaggerated arc to the hind legs as the horse approaches a racing trot,
> little or no freedom in the swing to the head and neck in rhythm to the
> trot. In fact, it is the concept of "rhythm" which would best define the
> working gait for an Arab...on trail. (Ring work is different, it is ridden
> differently and with more control, with emphases placed more on a rigid
> set of standards for hand/seat/legs).
>
> You cannot go miles down the trail in collection, but you can go miles
> with a natural rhythmic self-carriage appropriate for the breed. I would
> suggest that the canter is a more appropriate gait, can be done with more
> "collection" and rounding that the racing trot can possibly achieve.
> Gaits designed for speed (racing trot and gallop) often call for the very
> kind of high head-hollow back syndrome we think we should avoid (check out
> [...]

Ray Santana
UC Davis Medical Center
Network Operations
raymond.santana@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu