ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Rubbing over loin area

Re: [endurance] Rubbing over loin area

rsantana@ucdavis.edu
Thu, 14 Mar 96 08:04:05 +0800

I think I can answer this seemingly mysterious effect. See answer
following forwarded message.

//--- forwarded letter
> Subject: Re: [endurance] Rubbing over loin area

> Thanks for explanation of "bridging" and how it might cause rubbing
over the
> loins. Of the two horses I used my Orthoflex on (Endurance Cutback),
it was
> the one with the strong back, low head carriage, and very strong loins
who
> had the loin-rubbing problem. The other Arab had a long, hollow back,
high
> head carriage, and average loins. He did NOT have a problem with the
> Orthoflex.
>
> Linda Romander
> San Francisco, Calif.

I've seen this problem as well with the Ortho-Flex saddle. Especially
with some of the older models (ie. before booties).
The flexible panels are attached to the front and rear by one screw in
front and one in back on each panel. In horses that round naturally, low
head carriage does not necessarily mean a rounded back, the back will
rise up to the saddle. Sometimes the screws will protrude just a litte
and cause a sharp rubbing on those areas. A little attention to the
maintenance of those screws, tighten them from time to time, and adding a
solid pad between horse and saddle will take care of this.

Ray Santana
UC Davis Medical Center
Network Operations
raymond.santana@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu