ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: Saddle wanted

[endurance] Re: Saddle wanted

Lewis Hollander (lewis@bendnet.com)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 16:09:35 -0800

>To: Saddle Wanted
>From: Lewis Hollander <lewis@bendnet.com>
>Subject: =20
>I am looking for an Endurance Cut Back, Ortho-Flex size 17, or traditional
size 15, or dresseur 17. or similiar.

>Hanne Hollander
>

>>Subject: Re: [endurance] Saddle Fit & Mules
>>Date: Wed, 13 Mar 96 07:10:38 -0800
>>From: Eugenie (Oogie) McGuire <oogiem@dsrtweyr.com>
>>To: "Endurance List" <Endurance@moscow.com>
>>Sender: owner-endurance@moscow.com
>>
>>And for the ultimate saddle fitting nightmare try Half-Arabian Mules. ;-)
>>
>>Most mules have no or very low withers, tend to be slab sided and are
narrower in front than they are behind. I personally know of folks with
Orthoflex Patriot models that work well on mules. The Orthoflex cutback can
work but generally has to be shimmed to fit.

>>Most mule riders ride in very wide tree western saddles. Not exactly
endurance models but you could suggest that she consider a regular western
saddle anyway. Most mules are ridden with both breast collar and either
crupper or britchen but I have known (and bred) a few who did not require
anything. However they had good horse withers not typical mule withers.=20

>>> Those who make mule saddles don't make endurance style saddles
>>There are a number of mule saddles that work well. The mule model
McClellan is certainly a good endurance saddle and can be made to fit almost
any equine. There are several version out Here's a maker I have in my
database, I don't own one of these, I have an original, so I can't tell you
about quality etc.

>>American=A0Military=A0Saddle=A0Co.
>>5343 Norwood Avenue
>>Riverside, CA 92505
>>
>>(714) 354-6644
>>
>>You could also check with Civil War re-enactment folks for makers of
similar saddles. No addresses but a place to start looking.

>>My second best saddle for the mules I have is a very old (75+ years)
western saddle that weighs a ton and is double rigged. With it I haven't
used a breast collar on any mule and even some pretty mutton withered ones
didn't need a britchen.

>>Another place to try would be McClintock Saddle Works in Descanso CA. They
ride and pack mules and are donating a trophy saddle for the top performance
jack this year at Bishop mule days. They have lots of experience making
saddles for mules and donkeys. I don't own one of their saddles (unless
AssTech wins one at Mule Days this year ;-) ) but have seen several and they
were all well made.

>>Garry McClintock
>>McClintock Saddle Works
>>P.O. Box 129
>>Descanso, CA 91916
>>
>>(619) 445-3046
>>
>>I have a Wintec endurance model wide tree and it has fit some of the mules
I've tried it on but does require a breast collar and crupper or britchin to
stay on. It does not fit my donkey jack at all, it pinches his shoulders to
the point he cannot move out well. For him a very wide tree western saddle
is all that fits. I do use a crupper on him but no breast collar. I haven't
attempted to take him on even a pleasure ride so I have no idea how it would
work on trails.=20

>>One lady I know who raises Zebra mules and rides her Zebra stallion
(similar in conformation to many mules) uses a wide tree English all purpose
saddle. I don't know the model though.

>>Last thing, a quick check of the Brayer (ADMS newsletter) showed one ad
for a saddle maker who claims to make saddles for donkeys, mules and
hinneys. I have never seen a saddle of theirs so be forwarned but here's the
info.