ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Puzzling illness

Re: [endurance] Puzzling illness

ChacoL@aol.com
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 22:44:30 -0500

In a message dated 96-03-09 14:13:50 EST, long.judy@smtpgateway.centigram.com
(LONG JUDY) writes:

>Ok, what is Paramite and what does it prevent? Is it an something you
> spray on the horse or feed the horse? How was he treated for
> erlichiosis? How is it diagnosed? We live in Hayward and I'm
> wondering if this could be a problem in our area (since it was a
> problem in Linda's area across the bay) I haven't heard of any tick
> borne problems in our area other than Lyme's disease. Also, what
> stage of the tick carries this disease? Early in the year we have
> what I call the "tiny tick" season. The ticks in this stage are about
> the size of the head of a pin. Later on in the spring and on into the
> fall we get the normal (yuck) larger ticks. At least they are easier
> to find.
>
> My horse was ill about 2 years ago and was spiking a 105-106 degree
> fever. He was still walking around and eating, albeit lethargically.
> When the vet took his temperature the first time, he thought the
> thermometer was broken and tried another one. He told me that after
> 106-107 their brains start to cook. I don't think we ever knew what
> the illness was but we treated him with banamine and bute to get the
> fever down and I think we used TMZ pills. He did I wonder if
> erlichosis could have been the problem? How similar is erlichosis to
> piroplasmosis? Piro is a hot issue with the Olympic competitors right
> now and I think has come up in regard to foreign competitors in the
> World Championships in Kansas this year.

Paramite is a liquid miticide that is diluted with water and either sprayed
or sponged on the horse. It is a dog product to kill mites and ticks (they
are related, but they are not insects, hence, insecticides such as in fly
spray don't affect them). I order it from one of those discount livestock
supply catalogs, but it may be available in pet stores. A small bottle goes
a long way. During high tick season (May-Oct) you need to reapply every 3
weeks; right now, I'm getting about 4 weeks out of a treatment.

Here's what I have learned about erlichiosis. The bacteria is called
something like Erlichia equii. My vet says she sees about 10 horses a year
with this disease. Horses that have lived in this area for a while have
developed an immunity to it and get only mild symptoms that mostly go
unnoticed. My horse is a recent "import" to the coastal area and was unlucky
enough to be bitten by a tick that was carrying the bacteria. I have no idea
if it's related to piroplasmosis, but I do know that horses can recover from
it on their own and there are no after-effects, unless, of course, your horse
does get brain damage!

My horse lost weight rapidly (although he continued to nibble his hay),
developed the 106 degree fever, pulse 80, resp. 30, edema all four legs,
wobbled as he walked, had a dry, coarse coat, and generally looked SICK (and
very sorry for himself). His hematocrit (measure of iron in blood) was down
to 15 from a normal of 30-35. The bacteria were so numerous in his blood as
to be visible in the microscope. However, my vet says they seldom see the
bacteria but diagnose on the basis of the fever and low hematocrit. So
indeed this may have been what happened to Warpaint, and now you'll have to
apologize to him for your insensitivity to his plight <g>.

Treatment: cold water bath, bute and dipyrone to bring down temp., 5 days of
oxytetracycline IV, and something called Bactrim. Also got Red Cell in his
grain for a month to build back the iron.

Normally, horses rebound from this treatment dramatically, according to the
vet, but mine took a little longer because he was one sick pony.

I don't know if the transmission is limited to any particular life stage.
This was early January, but he did have some adult, engorged ticks on him.
Those "tiny ticks" are the immature stage, often too small to be seen
without a magnifying glass. If you can see ones the size of a pin head,
you've got better eyes that mine! The immature ticks (or nymphs) can cause a
mass of tiny bumps on the skin where the hair then comes out. As soon as I
feel any bumps (usually on the chest, the underside of the neck, and between
the hind legs), I treat with Paramite. In fact, I found some of the bumps on
both my Arabs today, so those guys are out there!

Hope this helps!

Linda Romander
San Francisco, Calif.

It is possible to use the injectible form of ivermectin ( the active
ingredient in Eqvalan, Zimectrin), which is still available for cows and sold
as Ivomec. Check with your veterinarian. Ivermectin is DEATH to ticks and
mites, but it means a monthly injection.