ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] RE: Mounted Orienteering

[endurance] RE: Mounted Orienteering

John Greenall (greenall@vermontel.com)
Wed, 6 Mar 96 16:28:05 PST

There is a national association that governs the rules of mounted
orienteering. The ones we did were "non-sanctioned" but ran about the
same. You need a mapped area, a state park is ideal. The organizer
"hides" coded paper plates at 4-6 locations and marks them on the map.
As the rider(s) near that location, compass points from three
landmarks help them to hone onto the plate. Sound easy?? Let me tell
you, it's a challenge and a lot of fun. First one to find all the
plates wins. There is a time limit so that some are not out there all
night. I still have some of the maps and "clues" from what I did.
Davie Waters put several on, some of you may remember her. The only
equipment you need is a Silva precision compass per rider. We loved
it.