From: Linda Merims <lbm@ici.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 08:01:17 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [endurance] Gortex Fabric

In case anybody was wondering, Gortex says that it no
longer makes its fabric available for retail sale, either
directly or through distributors. I just asked them via
their web page and they said they don't.

Other, similar breathable/water resistant fabric evidently is available
through various outlets that supply people who wish to make their
own camping gear. The three names I was given by a
Massachusetts retail fabric store (The Fabric Place) are
all in the pacific northwest. I have not contacted
these outlets myself yet and do not know if this information
is current.

The Green Pepper Inc.
Dept. SN
941 Olive St
Eugene, OR 97401
503-345-6665

The Rain Shed
Dept. SN
707 NW 11th
Corvallis, OR 97330

Outdoor Wilderness Supply
Dept SN
2511 Latah Drive
Nampa, ID 83651

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Massachusetts, USA

Gore-Tex material is not sold directly to the retail customer because the
company only allows garments and items that are certified by their
testing labs to be completely water-proof, to be sold to the retail
market. The material used to be available but the clothing manufacturers
did not comply with the requirements for a waterproof garment. Thus the
material got a bad reputation, due to shoddy workmanship not the fault of
the material.

Other materials that are supposedly just as waterproof and breathable are
simpatex and Ultrex.

Ray Santana
UC Davis Medical Center
Network Operations