ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Wet Weather Gear

Re: [endurance] Wet Weather Gear

Diane E. Nelson (nelsonde@ttown.apci.com)
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 09:24:42 -0500 (EST)

Teddy Lancaster sells a nifty full length plastic rain coat that is very
light weight and is styled like the outback coats. Seems to "breathe"
well with enough ventilation and fits down the length of your leg while
mounted. Comes in sizes to 6XL, different colors. It's PVC-coated nylon
& can be scrunched to fit in a cantle bag--just looked in the catalog,
$65 to XL & $75 to 6XL. Ponchos available also for $35. Teddy's # is
1-800-533-BEAR(2327). We see LOTS of these in soggy PA. Don't have one
personally but plan on buying one soon.

Have a friend with a Gore-Tex suit that she has worn on 50's. She says
it's wonderful and had no problems with bunching in the leg. We were on
a pack trip in WY and a couple people had the full suits & no problems
(tho' we were moving relatively slowly on the climbs). Draw-back just
seems to be the price. Don't see why you couldn't sew a strap to fit
around the foot to keep the pant legs down--sort of like gaitors. The
material is slippery so even if it started to ride up the leg it should
be relatively easy to "shake" it back down (unlike my sweats that stay up!).

BTW--many thanks for all the info on reconditioning wax coats!!

Diane @ Safe Haven