ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Re: Water Proofing

Re: [endurance] Re: Water Proofing

Linda Flemmer (CVLNURS@CHKD-7.evms.edu)
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 17:00:59 -0500 (EST)

Karen wrote about reproofing oiled linen/oil skin coats:

> I spray Thompson's Water Seal on my horse blankets. Keeps them water proof,
> and is less expensive than Scotchguard. I put it in one of those pump
> sprayers and spray everything once a year.

Scotch guard & Thompson's waterseal will ruin the resident proofing
in wax sealed coats/oil skin coats. It DOES work well on blankets or
non-proofed clothing items. For the oil skin and waxed coats, you
need to reproof it with reproofing cream. Some of these creams are
synthetic and some are natural waxes and oils, but most work about
the same. (Synthetic reproofing usually doesn't smell as strongly.)

We find that we reproof our coats about once a season. DO NOT wash
the coats in a washing machine OR put them in the drier. They should
be brushed & then hosed off outside to preserve their water sealant.
When resealing, pay special attention to seams and surfaces that
get a lot of water (shoulders, back, etc.)

I hope that this helps! Given care, one of these coats should last
for years and show very little age. (If you order one, make sure it
is long enough to cover your legs and wrists well when riding in wet
weather.)

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Equestrian Supplies/ Blue Wolf Ranch
Chesapeake, VA

"In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"