ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] How do you fix a Poor Walk?

Re: [endurance] How do you fix a Poor Walk?

Tina Hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 10:36:54 -0600

At 9:31 AM 2/15/96, Diane E. Nelson wrote:
>Hi Nancy!
>Unfortunately the walk is the hardest gait to fix...especially with an
>older horse for whom it may well be an ingrained habit. However, here
>are some dressage tips.

lots of good info deleted...
==========

Lateral work is also good for improving the walk - if you're horse is
comfortable doing lateral work. If he tenses up and is confused about the
aids, then lateral work is not the thing to do... Leg yields and
shoulder-in for short periods and then walk out in a straight ine will help

Trot poles adjusted for a walk will help too - horse will have to reach
over each pole

Take heart - like Diane said, the walk is tough but important - in fact,
dressage tests put a "curve" on walk work by multiplying walk scores by 2.

Tina Hicks
Andy (dal) CGC, 2/3 CD
Tony (dippy Arab) (I *had* to jump sideways and run - didn't you see the
potato chip bag??)
one husband and 7 fatcats in Huntsville, AL
hickst@nichols.com