ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: [endurance] lame horse

RE: [endurance] lame horse

Gwen Dluehosh (dluehosh@vt.edu)
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 22:41:24 -0600 (CST)

I was asking because I worked at the race track and even the very hot horses
right after the race are allowed to have 3 gulpps and then get walked for 2
minutes, same thing until they get cooled down. Just one more method of
controlling it but at least letting them help themselves get cooled down.
I don't ever reacll holding back water to horses here in VA< even at the Old
Dominion last year whcih was suc h a rough ride. I am just surprised mostly.

I suppose it IS possible to founder them, but I wonder how often that really
happens.
Gwen
In message Sun, 11 Feb 1996 22:26:12 -0500,
scote@laurentides.mtl.net (Serge Cote) writes:

> You asked:> why didn't she get any water or at least some
>
>>water and hay after ther ride? She may have tied up or something!
>>
> The reason why I didn't give her water right after the ride is because too
> rapid intake of large amount of water after strenuous exercise can cause
> founder. She did get some hay though.
> Thanks a lot for your advice, I'll let you all know how things are going.
> Anne
> --
> Serge Cote
> scote@laurentides.mtl.net
> URL http://laurentides.mtl.net

| Gwen Dluehosh "Pretty enough to show, |
| Desert Storm Arabians (| |)_____ tough enough |
| 2249 Mt. Tabor Rd / \ \__=___ to RIDE." |
| Blacksburg, VA 24060 (= + =) \___=___ |
| 540/953-1792 \ + / \__=____ |
| dluehosh@vt.edu | + | \____=___ |
| Endurance/racing ()+() \ _______ |
| halter stock available \_/ |