ridecamp@endurance.net: Regumate (was Re: [endurance] Nasty Mare)

Regumate (was Re: [endurance] Nasty Mare)

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 11:29:11 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 4 Feb 1996 HorseWorks@aol.com wrote:

> Are there any side effects or long-term problems with using Regumate? Is the
> mare still easily breedable later or does it upset her cycle when taken off?
> How often is it administered? By injection? Orally? What is the
> approximate cost per dosage?

In the event Dr. Tomlinson doesn't see this right off. I do have breeding
experience with the drug. It is just the hormone Progesterine. Naturally
produced in the horse's glands it regulates cycles. As I recall this is
synthetic, but am open to correction on this point. Sometimes refered to
as the hormone of pregnancy. I mentioned in an earlier post it's easiest
application is via inplants and by far the most cost effective. In the
liquid suspension it can be mixed with the horse's grain and is effective
in this manner or administered via drenching. I wouldn't suggest the
latter. I've had it spray back in my face. Not a good thing.

It's expensive. Retails anywhere from 300 to 400 a liter. A liter lasts
about 100 days. The inplants are about 75 bucks plus vet call. They last
about 6 months. I've seen it in Vet supply catalogs (Ft. Dodge) for
$285 a liter plus shipping. You can't buy it as a lay person. Requires a
perscription.

When I've worked in and around TB breeding farms we use it as means to
regulate cycle and predict ovulation for breeding. So as you see the side
effects are simply cost efficiency.

As for "spaying" I personally wouldn't consider an equine hysterectomy to
be an option. Equine surgery unless required to deal with a health
threatening sympthom isn't what I consider a good idea. <JMHO> (my $.02)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tommy Crockett~Los Osos, California USA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~tomydore@goblin.punk.net~~DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu~