ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] 25 vs 50

Re: [endurance] 25 vs 50

C.M.Newell (reshan@ultranet.com)
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 11:49:54 -0500 (EST)

Sue wrote:

>P.S. One of the things I like about endurance vs. NATRC is the fact that you
>do get a completion award if you finish. Also like the vet stops better
>because you're allowed to water your horse at the trough, etc. ...

>Now it seems like they design the P&Rs so that everyone comes in, dismounts
>and stands in the open for 10 minutes. Sometimes they even add a mandatory
>trot uphill (sometimes quite steep). I don't mind forward motion, but
>trotting up a steep hill into a P&R, give me a break, I'd certainly never do
>that normally. Usually the only water we're allowed to give is what we've
>carried on the horse, hence the reason a lot of Region 1 Open riders seem to
>carry over a gallon of water on their horse. Ridiculous. Why can't you just
>plan the P&R near a watering hole and let nature take it's course. I'd love
>some feedback on this because it hasn't always been this way, and since I'm
>now editor of the newsletter, looks like I might have a forum to get things
>changed a little.

Well, tell them there's at least one veterinarian who thinks this is
idiotic. To deliberaately put a P&R stop in direct sunlight is bad enough,
but IMHO, to in any way, shape , or form to restrict water consumption by
the horses is not only stupid, but dangerous. Are they having such a hard
time picking winners that they want to weed out the competitors by killing
some of them?
I would never even consider entering a ride in which my horse was
restricted to the amount of water which we could carry on board.
--CMNewell, DVM
"The expression in a horse's eye is like a blessing on a good man's house."
--Sayied iben-el Rabil, quoting the Prophet