ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Trailers & Trucks

Re: [endurance] Trailers & Trucks

Horsedock@aol.com
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 17:02:07 -0500

>Karen Chaton wrote:
>
>> Does anybody out there have or know somebody who has a "Brenderup"
trailer?
>> I've gotten information on them and they look/sound awfully neat. My
>> husband has asked me "why does a horse trailer have to weigh a ton"? I'd
>> like to hear experiences from people towing this trailer with a lighter
tow
>> vehicle too.

One of the reasons that trailers weigh that much is that it is cheaper to
make them solidly out of steel. If you are dealing with a quality trailer -
the lighter it is (ie aluminum) the more expensive. We used a Brenderup in a
practice. The trailer was solid, but i prefer a 3 horse gooseneck which i can
get for less. Since i had to load other peoples horses (in various stages of
being untrained) it is much easier to put them in that nice wide open
trailer. If you are absolutely stuck on using a small truck or car then by
all means go for the brunderup. I used to tow one with a toyota truck. The
problem is that the trailer may be lighter, but with 2 horses in it the
trailer still weigh the same.

Allen A. Cloutier,DVM