ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Build up of Snow in Shod Horses

[endurance] Build up of Snow in Shod Horses

Celeste Brown (cbrown@aimtech.com)
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:28:00 +0000

Nancy - and all:

One might think that a hoof pick is the correct tool to use year round. Not
in the winter, with snow. The right tool is a hammer.

If you think about this, the snow sticks to the cold metal shoe, not the
warm area of the frog. Hold your hoof in one hand and give the shoe a
strong tap on the outside rim, and watch your snow ball fall out, as easy as
that.

Also, to prevent build up within the frog, have your farrier put snowball
pads on front, rim pads on back -- for cost cutting measures, just apply
some Vaseline especially around the rim area of the shoe to help in keeping
the snow from building up.

Hope this helps.

Celeste Othmer Brown, ARICP Certified Riding Instructor (Dressage & Distance
Trail)
Pine Meadow Farm
(Promoting Morgans in Dressage & Competitive/Endurance Trail)
13 Veterans Road
Amherst, NH 03031
(603) 673-6311
email: cbrown@aimtech.com