ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: Thanks for support...

[endurance] Re: Thanks for support...

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 13:34:05 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Diane E. Nelson wrote:

> I feel that a gifted individual from ANY breed can do endurance--the
> trick is finding that one particular horse. Heavyweight riders are at a
> real disadvantage when it comes to riding Arabs. Yes, they can carry the
> weight but I truly believe that a horse has only so many miles to give
> and adding weight decreases that mileage considerably. That's why I'm
> frantically looking for a cross with a QH, TB, WB, etc.

Good points Diane. I have to think that a true QH just doesn't have the
necessary slow twitch muscle tissue to compete. However; (Mike can comment
further) to some extent it can be gained. A rider I've known for awhile
and enjoy hanging around at rides did rather well with her quarter/arab
cross. Come to think of it I haven't seen her for a couple of years, but
the last I did see her she finished 6th at Tevis with that mare.
Beautiful horse, but she looks more QH then Arab.

I'm currently experimenting with a BLM adopted Mustang. She's only two
and pregnant (that's another story,) but yet another aquaintance (I'm
sure many here know as well) has done very well top tening at Tevis and
about the west on a mare named Mustang Lady. Now retired. They seem to be
surefooted and smart. Lot's of go to boot.

Everybody in the Southwestern region knows of the former President's
(Crockett Dumas) horse an Anglo-Arab. Just keeps goin' and going... Then
there's my old pal down in the San Fernando valley with his herd of TBs
that keep doing just fine in the SW region rides. He has an Arab as I
recall that doesn't seem to be as hearty. Likes to retire his TBs at 1000
miles, so I'm not sure if Greg is all that great a reference as the
horses don't turn out the miles of a Doc Thunder Bask or a R.O. Grand
Sultan. Still I think getting past breed-bias is important. Look at ole
Truman and his TWH. Keeps rackin' up 'dem points year after year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tommy Crockett~Los Osos, California USA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~tomydore@goblin.punk.net~~DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu~