ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Too Skinny--HELP!-Marisa

Re: [endurance] Too Skinny--HELP!-Marisa

Roger Garlitz (Rgarlitz@txranger.com)
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 10:47:17 -0600

-Marisa >Hi all,

>I really hope you guys can help me. I'm getting VERY worried about
>Special.... She's way too skinny.

Roger writes:

I have an arabian that i ride competitive trail and some endurance on. He
is a hard keeper. The more I work him the less he eats.

Some things that work for me, (I know that there are always people who
disagree).

Worm every 60 days and rotate ,if you use paste. or everyday with strongent c.

I use TDI pelleted horse feed . It is 12% , but I would perfer 10 if it
came that way. I understand that protien above 12 %
actually decreases indurance.

If your horse is sweating during workouts give electrolytes in some form.
When the horses electrolytes drop down, they decrease the desire to eat and
drink, which starts a downward spiral.

In stead of increasing feed ( my arabian gets 3.5 lbs mornig and evining =
7lbs total for each day.) add oil. that increases the fat which is great,
but lessens the risk of colic because of too much grain. Dr Loving says you
can work up to 2 cups a day. My horse gets 1/2 cup mixed with each feeding.
The oil is also good if your horse is not eating all of the grain. At least
what they eat has lots of fat.

Alpha cubes may not be the best thing when your horse is working. They are
very high in protien ( remember the 12% guide line). My horse loves them
and I do feed him some, but don't over do it.

This might sound strange, but are you sure your horse is too thin? How can
you tell? Many people keep their horse on the heavy side, which can lead
you to believe your horse is too skinny, when he is just getting into
shape. Have you talked to your vet? That is the first advise I should have
given.

I have a constant battle to keep weight on my horse. He is small and I am
big. He works his but off and If I overwork him he decreases his grain
input. I hace to be carefull to condition him slowly.

Rome wasn't built 3 weeks before the first ride.

If I give my horse an extra 1/2 lb of pellets, he leaves 1/2 lb of pellets.
It took me a year to increase his intake 2 lbs. Some horses are hard
keepers!!

Consult your vet before you panic.

"Endeavor to Persevere" , Roger Garlitz
Cowboy Country http://www.txranger.com